Saturday, March 14, 2009

Common-Law Divorce?

We've all heard of common-law marriages. You know, when folks shack up for so long, they're considered married? Well, now there's a new trend. Common-law divorce!

While I don't think there's an official name for it, the economy is causing come interesting changes. Many couples are divorcing and continuing to live in the same household. Most are citing the hard economic times as their reason.

What?! The couples will continue to share chores and space. They will opt for separate rooms is available. This will make it easier for them to continue to co-parent. Am I the only one appalled by this? I'm not trying to be judgmental, but this insults my common sense.

If a couple has reached the point where they decide there is no other choice than to renege on their marriage vows, how can they then turn around and facilitate an amicable cohabitation? Could not that same energy be used in marriage counseling? Or in working to nurture the ailing relationship? So I say, "Absolutely not, I hate him. I can't live with him!" Oh wait, "It will save money?! I can do it."

What about children? Tell them, "Mommy and Daddy are getting divorced. But we're all still going to live here." What's being said is, there are other ways, but I can't bear to change my lifestyle. I am willing to sacrifice the well-being of my children for my boat and luxury home. What happens when one parent begins to date again? I think this arrangement should be illegal. How confusing. How selfish?

How sad is a world where marriage is reduced to dollar and cents? Where we will forsake our marriage vows, but tolerate each other to save money. MONEY! I can't even conceptualize this. Our priorities are so out of control. Look what we've done to God's marriage design. I really am saddened and appalled. "For the love of money is the root of all evil." I Tim. 6:10

No comments: